February 18, 2013 06:39:16
The President of the Newcastle Show says he is expecting strong crowd numbers at this year’s event with a number of changes made to ensure the event’s success.
This year’s show will take place over the weekend of March 2nd and 3rd with both Newcastle and Lake Macquarie Council’s declaring Friday March 1st a local event day.
President Roger Geary says there are a number of new rides which have not been at the show in previous years, while all outside stall sites have been taken up.
Mr Geary says last year’s show clashed with a number of other events, so this year they have worked to ensure that does not happen.
“The last show was affected by a lot of other rival events on that same weekend and some bad weather,” he said.
“The weather forecast I can’t control that but we’ve brought the show forward a couple of weeks earlier to avoid a clash with the football.
“We are also putting a lot of effort into school excursions on the Friday where we have discounted prices for the children.”
Mr Geary says he is expecting strong crowd numbers.
“The revenues from commercial space are up on last year’s because I think they realise that the crowd should be a lot higher because we’ve now got the rides back and a better list of entertainment,” he said.
“I believe every site outside has been sold and there are only a few sites left in the entertainment centre so our revenues are looking fairly strong.”